Mofongo is a national dish of Dominican cuisine. The dish consists of fried unripe plantain, Chicharron De Cerdo, garlic and beef bone broth. Fried bananas, garlic and pork rinds Chicharron are mixed in a mortar and make a homogeneous mass. The broth is cooked for about 1 hour, the composition includes beef bones so it turns out more rich, oregano, garlic and onion. Thick rich broth complements the main part of the banana dish with its flavors. It is customary to serve the dish in a deep bowl. We take the mofongo with a fork and dip it in the broth. Incredibly interesting taste of this dish, gourmets will like it. How to cook Chicharron De Cerdo we wrote earlier.
Beef bones for broth — 760 grams
Fresh coriander — a bunch
White onion — 1 onion
Garlic — 10 cloves
Water — 1 liter
Oregano — ½ teaspoon
Unripe bananas (plantains) — 4-5 pieces
Chicharron De Cerdo — 500 grams
1. Wash the bones with water. Add to a deep saucepan.
2. Add the frying oil to the pan.
3. Peel the onion and cut it into 2 parts.
4. Peel and chop 7 cloves of garlic on a fine grater.
5. Broth: fry beef bones a little at medium temperature. Stirring regularly for about 10 minutes.
6. Add garlic, onion, water, oregano and a bunch of fresh coriander to the pan.
7. Reduce the temperature to a minimum and cook for 1 hour.
8. Strain the broth through a fine sieve. Throw out large particles.
9. Peel unripe bananas. Babans are cut into pieces of 2 inches (5 cm).
10. Babans fry over high heat in a large amount of oil until golden brown.
11. We put fried bananas on a kitchen towel to get rid of excess oil.
12. Peel 3 cloves of garlic and finely chop.
13. Chicharron De Cerdo cut into pieces of 1 inch (2.5 cm).
14. Mofongo: in a large deep mortar, chop the previously chopped garlic. Add Chicharron and fried bananas. Thoroughly crush everything!
Serving: We put a small amount of mofongo in the form of a ball or a hemisphere on a plate or a deep saucer. Pour half of the hot broth. Or decorate the plate with fried shrimp and lime slices.