Beef broth or water — 250 ml
Ground beef — 750 grams
Eggplant — 1 kg
White (yellow or red) onion — 1 large onion
Garlic — 4 cloves
Dry red wine — 125 ml
Olive oil for frying
Ground tomatoes — 400 grams
Bay leaf — 2 pieces
Toamt paste — 3 tablespoons
Sugar — 1 ½ teaspoons
Dried oregano — 2 teaspoons
Ground cinnamon — ½ teaspoon
Milk — 650 ml
Flour — 50 grams
Butter — 60 grams
Parmesan cheese — 60 grams
Nutmeg — 1 ¼ teaspoon
Pepper to taste
Chicken egg — 1 piece
Chicken yolk — 1 piece
Breadcrumbs — 20 grams
1. Wash the eggplants and cut them lengthwise into slices 1 inch or 2-3 cm thick.
2. Sprinkle the eggplants with salt and put them on a plate. Leave for 20 minutes.
3. Wash the eggplants in running water and dry them with paper towels.
4. Lay a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet for baking.
5. Lubricate the eggplants with olive oil on both sides and put them on parchment paper.
6. Preheat the oven to 450°F (240°C) and bake the eggplants for 20 minutes. The time may be different, it all depends on the oven. Eggplants should be browned. It may be necessary to make several batches.
7. Peel onion and garlic and finely chop.
8. Filling: In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil at maximum temperature.
9. Add garlic and onion to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes.
10. Add the minced meat and cook until the color changes to brown.
11. Reduce the heat to medium.
12. Add dry red wine, ground tomatoes, tomato paste, beef broth, bay leaves, sugar, oregano, cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of salt.
13. Cook the stuffing from minced meat until the sauce thickens. It may take up to 1 hour.
14. Bechamel sauce: melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour gradually and mix. You should get a thick mass.
15. Add milk in parts to the saucepan and mix all the time! Once all the milk is added, stir continuously until the sauce thickens. It took us about 20 minutes.
16. Add ground nutmeg, pepper to taste, grated Parmesan cheese, chicken egg and another egg yolk to the sauce. Mix it up.
17. Put a layer of eggplant on the bottom of the baking dish (we have a square 8.6 inches or 22 cm). Next, we put all the stuffing from the minced meat. Cover the minced meat with a layer of eggplants and pour the Bechamel sauce. Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top.
18. Put it in the oven at 360° F (180°C) for one hour. The time may be different for you! The main thing is that the crust starts to brown on top.
Serving: Serve hot with a glass of dry red wine!