What is Nigerian Jollof Rice ?
Nigerian Jollof Rice is a dish of the peoples of West Africa. In the taste of rice, the natural sourness of tomatoes is pronounced, which makes the rice very piquant. The recipe uses dried herbs and garlic, but you can replace them with less fresh ones from the garden or market. We used Jalapeno pepper, but it can be replaced with Habanero pepper, or hot Chili pepper. Adjust the pungency of Jollof Rice to your liking! Today we tried to cook this popular dish. According to the original recipe, almost at the very end of cooking, our rice burned to the bottom of the pan! To prevent this, the rice should be stirred regularly, and not left unattended!
Recipe type: Rice
Recipe type: Nigerian
White onion — 4 onions
Tomatoes — 500 grams
Jalapeno — 6-7 slices
Tomato paste — 3 tablespoons
Curry powder — 1 teaspoon
Dried garlic — 1 teaspoon
Dried ginger — 1 teaspoon
Dried basil — 1 teaspoon
Dried coriander-1 teaspoon
Dried oregano-1 teaspoon
Long-grain rice — 300 grams
Frozen corn, peas, string beans — 200 grams (total weight)
Olive oil — 30 grams
Vegetable or olive oil for frying
1. Peel the onion and cut it into large pieces. Send it to a blender.
2.Add olive oil to the blender. Mix until a homogeneous fine mass is formed. Spread in a bowl and set aside.
3. Wash the tomatoes and cut them into large pieces. We send it to a blender and mix it until smooth.
4. Add Jalapeno pepper, three tablespoons of tomato paste to the blender. Beat for about 30-40 seconds.
5. Rinse the rice 7-10 times.
6. Heat the frying oil in a deep saucepan over high heat.
7.Put the onion mass in a saucepan. Cook for 10 minutes. Stir regularly, so that the onion does not burn.
8. Add the tomato mixture, curry powder, dried ginger, garlic, oregano, basil, and coriander to the pan.
9. Reduce the heat to almost a minimum and cook for 30 minutes. Stir the contents of the pan all the time while cooking. Be careful — the hot mixture gurgles strongly and can your burn!
10. Add rice, string beans, corn and beans to the sauce in a saucepan.
11. Increase the heat to medium. Pour 300 ml of water and mix. Cook for 30 minutes. Stir regularly, so that the rice does not burn at the bottom.
12. Cover with food foil and cover with a lid. Cook for 30 minutes. Stir regularly!!!
Serving: Serve as an independent dish or with sour cream and fried pork.