Classic Shrimp Étouffée is a dish of French cuisine. Étouffée is a French word meaning “smothered” or “suffocated”. This dish is made of fresh shrimp, celery, sweet pepper, tender roux, tomatoes, garlic. It turned out incredibly tasty and colorful.
How to cook roux?
Butter must be melted over low heat so that it becomes “clean” and golden in color. Add flour and bring to a light brown cream condition. Roux will give the dish softness and creaminess.
How to cook shrimp broth?
You can cook the shrimp broth yourself. For the shrimp broth, we took the shrimp heads and boiled them in water on maximum heat for 5 minutes. The broth was filtered through cheesecloth so that it would become clean.
Tomatoes. Tomatoes can be used both fresh, finely chop them, and canned together with juice.
How to cook the whole dish?
Make shrimp broth, make roux, peel and chop vegetables. Add vegetables, shrimp broth, garlic, salt and pepper to the roux. Add the shrimp themselves for 3-5 minutes and remove from heat. Boil the rice and serve it on the table.
1. Clean the green sweet pepper from the peduncle, seeds and white partitions. Cut the pepper into small cubes.
2. Peel the onion and cut into small cubes.
3. Cut the celery stalk into the same size as the green sweet pepper.
4. Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. The oil should boil and the foam should rise to the top. As soon as the foam stops rising, remove the oil from the heat and let it cool down a little. Remove the foam with a spoon and strain through cheesecloth. The oil must be clean.
5. Roux: Heat the oil over medium heat in a large saucepan and add flour to it. Stir the mixture all the time until it becomes golden brown and creamy in structure.
6. Add sweet pepper, onion and celery to the pan. Mix it up.
7. Add shrimp broth, tomatoes, bay leaf, pepper. Mix it up.
8. Bring the contents of the pan to a boil.
9. Add finely chopped garlic, salt. Cook for another 5 minutes.
10. Add peeled shrimp without heads and shells. Cook for 3 minutes.
11. Remove the pan from the heat.
12. Boil the rice according to the instructions on the package.
Serving: Pour the shrimp stew over the rice in a deep bowl. Sprinkle with a little parsley or green onion. Serve with baguette or rolls.
Hello everyone! I believe that if one has learned how to cook, then the rest will be able to. I would like to share with you recipes of dishes from different countries of our big planet. Let's explore the world together through the lens of the world's cuisines. Cook with us - cook for yourself!