Yakisoba is a traditional fried Japanese noodles with vegetables and meat in the Chinese style. The recipe originates in the 1930s as a children’s snack in family pastry shops (Dagashi-ya in Japanese).
Japanese families often cook various noodles — udon, curry and of course Yakisoba. A distinctive feature of this noodles is the unique sauce. Yakisoba sauce can be made by yourself (Yakisoba sauce recipe) or bought in a specialty store. The purchased one contains a lot of preservatives, so culinary Japanese ninjas prepare the sauce themselves at home.
In Yakisoba noodles, the meat filling can usually be changed to your liking. It can be chicken thigh, pork belly, shrimp or squid. For those who don’t eat meat, you can use tofu or add even more mushrooms.
From vegetables we will use carrots, cabbage leaves, Shiitake mushrooms, they can be replaced with champignons.
Of course, we use Yakisoba sauce, and unfortunately it is not replaceable. Therefore, you will have to buy it with delivery or cook it yourself by buying the necessary ingredients (see the recipe for Yakisoba sauce).
Yakisoba sauce — 220 ml
Chicken thigh without bones and skin — 340 grams
White onion — 1 piece
Carrots — 1 piece
Peking cabbage leaves — 4 pieces
Shiitake mushrooms — 5 pieces
Green onion — 2 stalks
Corn starch — 2 teaspoons
Yakisoba or wheat noodles — 3 servings
Sesame oil — 4 tablespoons
1. Cut the meat into thin slices of 5 cm in length.
2. Peel the onion and cut it into half rings.
3. Peel the carrots and grate them on a Korean grater to make a straw. If there is no grater, then divide the carrots into 3 parts and cut into as thin strips as possible.
4. Cut cabbage leaves into strips.
5. Shiitake mushrooms cut into pieces the size of meat.
6. Cut the green onions not too finely at an angle.
7. Mix corn starch and 2 teaspoons of sesame oil in a cup.
8. Marinate the meat in a cup with starch and butter. Marinate for 30 minutes.
9. Heat 1 tablespoon of sesame oil over high heat.
10. Fry the marinated meat for 7-8 minutes. Set aside separately in a clean cup.
11. Cook noodles according to the instructions on the package.
12. Heat 2 tablespoons of sesame oil over medium heat.
13. Fry the mushrooms for 2 minutes.
14. Add white onion, carrot, cabbage, noodles, meat, green onion, Yakisoba sauce. Mix it up. Cook for 7 minutes.