Homemade Katsu Sauce is a Japanese sauce. This sauce is very common in Japan and is served with any dishes. You can buy it in a Japanese store, but this is not always possible, and therefore we decided to make it ourselves, so it will even taste better. The sauce is based on simple ingredients: ketchup, soy sauce, oyster sauce and sugar. The other ingredients of Katsu sauce may be different, it all depends on the cook. We added dates and onions, rice vinegar, nutmeg and cloves to the sauce. The taste of the sauce is incredible and is perfect for breaded dishes. This sauce can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three weeks.
Cane (or white) sugar — 60 grams
Water — 2 x 60 ml
Pitted dates — 4 pieces
Onion — 1 medium onion
Bay leaf — 2 pieces
Ground cloves — ¼ teaspoon
Ketchup — 60 ml
Ground nutmeg — ¼ teaspoon
Rice vinegar — 1 tablespoon
Soy sauce — 3 tablespoons
Oyster sauce — 2 teaspoons
1. If the dates have a stone, then remove it. Cut it in half.
2. Peel the onion and cut it into medium-sized cubes.
3. Put sugar and 60 ml of water in a saucepan. Fire at maximum. Cook for about 15-20 minutes.
4. As soon as the water has almost all boiled off and the syrup has become thick, then add another 60 ml of water. We reduce the fire to a minimum.
5. Add the remaining ingredients. We put the fire on medium. Cover the pan with a lid. Cook for another 15-20 minutes until the sauce becomes slightly viscous.
6. Grind with a blender until smooth and leave to cool.
Hello everyone! I believe that if one has learned how to cook, then the rest will be able to. I would like to share with you recipes of dishes from different countries of our big planet. Let's explore the world together through the lens of the world's cuisines. Cook with us - cook for yourself!