Pilaf is a traditional dish of Uzbekistan. The country is located in Central Asia. The country has been located in the middle of the Great Silk Road since ancient times. Uzbekistan is rich in natural resources and many different spices.
Pilaf is usually made from lamb, but we cook it from beef. Also add a large amount of carrots. The main thing is of course rice and aromatic spices, such as saffron and turmeric, which make the pilaf delicious and golden in color. Cook over an open fire in a cauldron (a deep metal cauldron, similar to a modern wok pan). The finished dish should be crumbly, the rice should not stick together and become porridge.
1. Wash the beef and cut it into large pieces (6 cm or 2.4 inches)
2. Wash the rice 10 times. The water must remain clear.
3. Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes.
4. Wash the onion and cut it into half rings.
5. Wash the garlic and cut it into large slices.
6. Grate the carrots very finely.
7. Soak the saffron in a little water.
8. Heat the oil in a deep frying pan.
9. Fry the beef until tender. Set aside in a separate bowl.
10. Heat more oil in a frying pan and add the garlic. Cook for 2 minutes.
11. Add the onion to the garlic. Cook for another 3-4 minutes.
12. Return the beef back to the pan.
13. Fill the top with carrots. Mix it up.
14. Drain the water from the rice. We wash the rice again in running water.
15. Add the rice to the pan. Do not mix! The rice should remain on top of an even layer.
16. Add ground coriander, turmeric, salt and pepper, saffron (together with water).
17. Pour the water carefully from the edges, so as not to blur the contents of the pan. There should be enough water to cover the rice by 1.2-1.6 inches (3-4 cm).
18. Cover the pan with a lid.
19. Reduce the temperature of the stove by half. The water should boil a little.
20. When the water reaches the level of the rice, gently shift the rice from the center of the pan to the edges with a tablespoon, and from the edges to the center. So we will not break the integrity of the layer with rice and let it boil evenly. We do this every 5 minutes. We regularly try the rice for readiness. If the rice is not ready, but the water is almost all boiled, then you can add water to the level of the rice. As a result, there should be no water left at all. It took us about an hour to cook.
Serving: Before serving, stir the pilaf.