Croque Madame (French Sandwich)
Croque Madame is a French sandwich with ham and cheese, and a fried egg on top. The sandwich is fried to a crisp, hence the name “croque” translated as “crispy”. Sandwich with cheese and ham filling inside. The sandwich itself is dipped in cheese and cream sauce and fried until crisp. The egg is fried in such a way that the yolk is slightly covered with a translucent film, but remains liquid inside. Before you start eating a sandwich, you should cut the egg so that the yolk flows out onto the sandwich itself.
We used Gouda cheese, it can be replaced by Comté, Emmental, Jarlsberg or Gruyere. It all depends on your region of residence.
Android app here:
iOS app here:
Support Patreon here:
https://www.patreon.com/cook4yourself Recipe type: Sandwiches Recipe type: French Yield: 2 Prep time: 15 mins Cook time: 35 mins Total time: 50 mins Ingredients:
Butter — 25 grams
Gouda cheese (grated) — 50 grams
Gouda cheese — 4 slices the size of a slice of bread
Flour — 1 tablespoon
Cow’s milk — 170 ml
Salt — ¼ teaspoon
Ground black pepper — ¼ teaspoon
Ground nutmeg — ¼ teaspoon
Bread for toast — 4 slices
Dijon mustard — to taste
Ham — 4 slices
Chicken egg — 2 pieces
1. Sauce: Grate the cheese on a fine grater (if you haven’t done it yet).
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
3. Add flour to a saucepan and mix until smooth.
4. Add milk, salt and ground black pepper, nutmeg to a saucepan and mix until smooth. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add grated cheese to a saucepan and mix.Cook until the sauce thickens (about 15-20 minutes).
6. Sandwiches: While the sauce is being prepared, fry the toast bread until golden brown.
7. Spread two slices of bread on one side with Dijon mustard.
8. Put slices of cheese on top of mustard.
9. Place the ham slices on top of the cheese.
10. Put another slice of cheese on top of the ham.
11. Cover each sandwich with a second piece of bread.
12. Smear the sauce on all sides of each sandwich.
13. Fry each sandwich on both sides over medium heat until crisp. You can use a press to press down the sandwiches.
14. Fry two chicken eggs in a frying pan for 3-4 minutes. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for about 1 minute.
15. Put the sandwiches on plates. Put one egg on top of the sandwiches. Sprinkle a little thyme.
Serving: Sandwiches are eaten with a fork and cut with a knife, so that the egg yolk would initially stack on the sandwich.
Enjoy your meal!