Fiskegrateng is a Norwegian casserole. This is a wonderful and incredibly delicious homemade casserole for the whole family. Tender milk sauce with butter, maccaroni, cod and garlic breadcrumbs is a holistic taste of Fiskegrateng. You can take fresh, salted, or even smoked fish and the dish will sparkle with new colors.
1. Peel the garlic and finely chop it.
2. Cut the cod into large cubes.
3. Maccaroni is boiled to the state of al dente.
4. Pour water from a saucepan over the pieces of cod for 2-3 minutes. Then drain the water!
5. The white part of the leek is finely cut into rings.
6. Garlic breadcrumbs: Melt 50 grams of butter on maximum heat.
7. Add chopped garlic to the oil in the pan. Mix it up.
8. Add the breadcrumbs. Mix it up. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
9. Sauce: in a deep saucepan, melt 50 grams of butter.
10. When the butter starts to bubble, add 80 grams of flour in parts. You should get a thick mass.
11. Add one liter of milk in parts. Mix regularly so that no lumps form and add next part of the milk.
12. Reduce the heat to medium.
13. Add ground nutmeg. Add salt and pepper to taste.
14. Separate the egg yolks from the whites.
15. Add the yolks to the milk sauce. Mix it up. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat! The sauce is ready.
16. Beat the egg whites with a whisk or mixer. You should get an airy white mass.
17. Break the pieces of cod into pieces with two forks.
18. Add boiled Maccaroni, cod, and leeks to the milk sauce. Mix it up.
19. Add the whipped whites to the resulting filling. Mix it up.
20. Put the filling in a baking dish. Sprinkle with garlic breadcrumbs.
21. Place the dish in the middle of the oven for 30-40 minutes at 356 °F (or 180 °C).
Serving: Serve with boiled potatoes.