Ciao, gourmets! Working with the test today! We are preparing an Italian pie with Mozzarella cheese, dried tomatoes and olives.
Italian pie with Mozzarella cheese, dried tomatoes and olives.
A magnificent delicious and beautiful Italian pie with tender Mozzarella cheese, dried tomatoes and olives, what could be better?! Baking ordinary bread turned out to be quite boring and there was not enough rich filling, and that’s when we decided to make a twisted bread or pie (as it is more convenient to call it)! Crispy on the outside and cheesy on the inside with a slight sourness of dried tomatoes and an oily tinge of Greek olives. I would call this Italian bread ideal for a snack under dry red wine.
How to cook Italian crusty bread
The recipe is simple, well, or not very simple. Mix flour, salt, yeast and warm water (do not pour boiling water, otherwise cook the yeast and the dough will not rise properly). Knead the dough. We leave him to rest a little. While waiting for the dough, we prepare the filling. We remove the bones from the olives, slightly crush the tomatoes, by the way, we dry them ourselves at home in the oven (Dried tomatoes in the oven), grate Parmesan cheese. Divide the dough into 2 parts. Roll out into the shape of a circle. Fill with filling. Cover with a second piece of dough. We make incisions through and twist. It turns out like the sun with rays. Bake in the oven. Pour into a large glass of delicious red dry wine and tear off one of these “rays” and enjoy the splendor of Italian taste and aromas of homemade freshly baked bread.
Flour — 500 grams
Salt — 1 teaspoon
Yeast — 8 grams
Water (50 °C / 122°F) — 300 ml
Parmesan cheese — 50 grams
Olives (kalamata) — 10 pieces
Tomatoes (dried) — 150 grams
Basil (fresh) — 20 grams
Mozzarella cheese — 120 grams
Olive oil — 1 tablespoon
1. Dough: Sift flour into a deep bowl for a food processor.
2. Add yeast and salt to the flour. Mix it up.
3. Pour warm water into the dough in parts and knead for 7-8 minutes.
4. Leave the dough to rest in a warm place for at least 1 hour.
5. Filling: Grate Parmesan cheese on a fine grater.
6. Peel the olives from the seeds. Cut in half.
7. Tomatoes (half of the total amount) are lightly crushed in a mortar or with a flat knife.
8. Cut the basil leaves into medium pieces.
9. Divide the dough into 2 parts. Roll them out into a round shape. Width 26-30 cm (10-12 inches).
10. Place the dough circle on a large cutting board or immediately on a baking sheet with parchment paper at the bottom.
11. Put tomatoes, olives, basil evenly on the first round of dough and sprinkle with grated cheese (use 2/3 of the total amount). Tear the Mozzarella cheese into pieces and put it on the filling.
12. Cover the first circle with the second one and fasten the edges.
13. Take a sharp knife and make incisions on the dough slightly retreating from the middle. Cut through the filling and the base of the pie. We got 16 petals.
14. Twist each cut piece. Be careful, the filling may fall out.
15. Brush the surface of the cake with a little olive oil.
16. Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese over the pie.
17. Put the pie in the oven for 1 hour at 200 ° C (392 °F).