Chushki Burek – (Peppers Burek) is a traditional dish of Bulgarian cuisine. “Chushki” is Bulgarian for “pepper”. Burek – unsweetened pastries. For cooking, baked and peeled sweet peppers, Bulgarian cheese “Sirene” are necessary. “Sirene” is not everywhere to be found, so we will replace it with sheep cheese “Bryndza”.
Fried sweet red pepper is stuffed with a mixture of cheese, eggs and fresh herbs such as parsley or dill, then add eggs and breadcrumbs and finally deep-fried in oil until crisp. The difficulty of the dish is to quickly fry the peppers, not allowing the juicy filling to leak out, serve them hot to the table.
The dish is usually consumed as a hot appetizer and is often accompanied by sour garlic-yogurt sauce and fresh salad.
Long sweet Bulgarian red pepper — 4-6 pieces
Garlic — 4 cloves
Tomatoes — 200 grams
Sirene cheese (or Cheese) — 220-250 grams
Ground cumin — 1 teaspoon
Chilli pepper — to taste
Chicken egg — 4 pieces
Baking powder — ¼ teaspoon
Parsley — a bunch
Ground black pepper — ½ teaspoon
Salt to taste
Breadcrumbs — 300-350 grams
Frying oil — 2 liters
1. Finely chop the garlic.
2. Lightly roast the sweet pepper on the grill, trying not to damage the skin too much, or put the pepper on a baking tray and send it to the oven for 20 minutes at 390 °F (200 ° C). If you cook in the oven, turn the peppers over 10 minutes after the start of baking.
3. When the peppers are ready, put them in a plastic bag and let them rest for 15 minutes.
4. Remove the peppers from the bag and carefully remove the seeds and partitions. The skin of the pepper should also be removed, it is removed very easily.
5. We take out the pulp from the tomatoes, we don’t need it. Cut the tomatoes finely.
6. Filling: Grind cheese with a fork, add garlic, tomatoes, cumin, chilli pepper to taste, one chicken egg, ground black pepper, finely chopped parsley.
7. Mix in a separate bowl: three chicken eggs, salt, baking powder. Beat with a whisk until smooth.
8. We stuff the peppers with stuffing. Be careful, peppers can be too soft and fall apart in your hands.
9. The stuffed pepper is first dipped in a mixture of eggs.
10. Stuffed peppers are rolled in breadcrumbs from all sides.
11. Stir-fry the butter in fryer or in a deep saucepan. The temperature is 360 °F (180 °C).