Lobio Georgian Bean Stew is a traditional Georgian dish. A simple dish of beans, spices and walnuts. The dish was previously considered the food of the poor.
Traditionally, Georgian lobio is prepared from red dry beans, but we decided to make it from white. The taste remained unchanged. We couldn’t find the pomegranate molasses, so we replaced it with the sweet pomegranate Narsharab sauce. Fenugreek was not found in our arsenal of spices and had to be replaced with coriander seeds, basil, coriander, parsley and dill.
1. Soak the beans for at least 4 hours, and preferably for 8-12 hours.
2. Peel the garlic and onion and finely chop.
3. Peel the walnuts (if they are whole) and finely grind them in a blender. You can chop it with a kitchen knife, but it will take a very long time.
4. Remove the peel from the tomatoes. Boil the water. Make an incision with a cross along the entire tomato. Place the tomatoes in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain the boiling water and pour in cold running water. Wait a minute and you can easily peel the tomatoes.
5. Cut the tomatoes and chicken breast into small cubes.
6. In a large saucepan, place the beans and fill with water. Wait until it boils and reduce the heat to medium.
7. Add the bay leaves. And cook until the beans are ready. Do not pour out the broth from the beans. It will be useful in the future.
8. Transfer the beans to a deep bowl. With a spatula, knead the beans to a state of porridge.
9. Fry the chicken until golden brown. Put it on a plate.
10. In a mortar, mix the mustard seed, fenugreek, saffron and grind into a fine fraction.
11. Fry the onion for 5 minutes.
12. Add garlic, tomatoes, spices from a mortar, molasses or Narsharab, ground walnuts, salt to taste, beans, chicken. Cook for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Stir regularly and make sure that the dish is not burnt. You can reduce the heat to medium or low.
13. We transfer our dish to the baking pot. Add the broth from the beans. Cook for another 30 minutes at 473°K (200°C).
Serving: Serve hot or cold with a sprinkle of olive oil and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.