How to cook Filo Pastry?
Homemade Filo Pastry is a soft, elastic and very thin dough from the cuisine of the Mediterranean countries. The dough is used for various dishes of European cuisine, these are bureki, Bulgarian banitsa and others. The dough is prepared quickly and easily. It lends itself very well to stretching and becoming thinner than paper. You can buy it in the store to save time, but it’s not always convenient, and it’s much more pleasant to do it yourself!
Recipe type: Dough
Recipe type: Mediterranean
Chicken yolks — 3 pieces
Salt — ½ teaspoon
Warm boiled water — 200 ml
White wine vinegar (6%) — 1 teaspoon
Flour — 420 grams
1. Mix: salt, warm water and vinegar. White wine vinegar can be replaced with apple vinegar, the main thing is that it would be 6-9% no more.
2. Add egg yolks to the mixture. Mix it up.
3. Sift the flour onto a working surface or into a deep bowl.
4. Gradually add the dough mixture. Knead with a fork, and then with your hands. The dough should not stick to your hands too much. Knead for about 5-7 minutes.
6. The dough must be thrown about 50 times on the table! It will immediately become elastic and pliable.
7. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap or a plastic bag and leave for one hour at room temperature.
8. Roll out the dough into a long “sausage” and separate into 12 parts.
9. Roll each piece of dough into a ball. Cover the currently unused balls with a damp towel so that they do not dry out.
10. Sprinkle the work surface and rolling pin with flour. As much as possible, roll the ball into a rectangle or square. Make sure that the dough does not stick to the surface.
11. As soon as you roll out the dough, then start gently stretching it with your hands. Try not to tear the dough! It should become so thin that it will begin to become almost transparent.
12. Cut off the extra uneven edges.
12. While you roll out the remaining sheets, the previous ones are laid out on baking paper. You can’t leave the sheets like that for a long time, because they will start sticking to the paper!
Serving: Use for baking different dishes. It can be frozen in the freezer, defrosted in the refrigerator.
[…] are prepared from filo dough (a recipe for homemade filo dough) or you can use puff pastry without yeast. Roll out the yeast-free dough tightly and make […]