How to make Tuscan Tomato Soup with bread?
Homemade Tuscan Tomato Soup with crusty bread is a classic of Italian cuisine. This soup is also called Papa al Pomodoro. To prepare Tuscan Tomato Soup, you need to take dry white bread, some tomatoes and spices. Satisfying and simple! Great idea for lunch on a hot summer day.
Android app here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cook4yourself.android
iOS app here: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/cook4yourself/id1561606000
Support Patreon here: https://www.patreon.com/cook4yourself
Recipe type: Soups
Recipe type: Italian
Tomatoes — 1 ½ kg
Garlic — 3-4 cloves
Crusty white bread — 250 g
Water — 200 ml
Turmeric — 1 teaspoon
Sugar — 2 teaspoons
Onion — 1 piece
Olive oil for frying
Basil and capers — for serving
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Chop the bread into large pieces. If the bread is not crisp and firm enough, brush it with olive oil and put it in the oven for 30 minutes at 140 degrees Celsius (280 degrees Fahrenheit)
2. Wash the tomatoes. Make an incision in the form of a cross. Dip in hot water for 2-4 minutes. Transfer to ice water. The peel can now be easily removed.
3. Finely chop the tomatoes.
4. Finely chop the onion and garlic.
5. In a large and deep saucepan, heat the olive oil.
6. Add the onion and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir regularly, so that they do not burn. The onion should become soft, but not burn.
7. Add tomatoes, salt, pepper to taste, sugar (optional) and turmeric to the pan. Reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 20 minutes.
8. If you think that the soup is too thick, you can add water.
8. Add slices of bread. Taste for salt and add salt, if not salted. Cook for 5 minutes.
Serving: Serve hot. In the soup, you can add a couple of slices of bread, capers, a slice of celery and basil leaves.