Albondigas Soup is a classic soup of Mexican cuisine. We did not expect that this soup would be so delicious that every cup of soup explodes the receptors. This dish consists of carrots, string beans, meatballs (“albondigas” means “meatballs” in Spanish) and tomato sauce.
You can take ready-made beef or chicken broth, cook it yourself or cook it from a concentrated cube. We use tomato sauce, but you can dilute 140 grams of tomato paste with water, or you can fry cherry tomatoes in a frying pan.
Meatballs are prepared from ground beef, rice with the addition of mint leaves and parsley. For gluing, we use one chicken egg. It’s simple!
The basis of the soup is broth, water and tomato sauce. It remains to simmer it for a long time.
Tomato sauce — 200 ml
String beans — 400 grams
Ground beef — 650 grams
Carrots — 360 grams
White or yellow onion — 280 grams
Garlic — 1 clove
Frying oil — 2 tablespoons
Rice — 40 grams
Mint leaves — 20 grams
Putrushka — 45 grams
Salt and black pepper to taste
Chicken egg — 1 piece
Red Cayenne pepper — ½ teaspoon
Peas — 400 grams
Dried oregano — ½ tablespoon
Beef broth — 1 liter
Water — 1 liter
1. Finely chop the garlic and onion.
2. Carrots are cut into bars 4 inches long (10 cm), 1 inch thick (2-3 cm).
3. Reheat beef broth.
4. In a very deep saucepan (all the ingredients will be cooked in it), heat the frying oil over medium heat.
5. Add the onion to the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Stir it regularly with a spatula.
6. Add garlic. Cook for 2 minutes.
7. Add beef broth, water (1 liter) and tomato sauce. Mix it up. Bring to a boil.
8. Add carrots and string beans to the soup. Leave to cook for about one hour.
9. Albondigas: rinse rice in running water, finely chop mint leaves and parsley. Mix everything with ground beef. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add one chicken egg and mix thoroughly.
10. Make meatballs. For convenience, we used a measuring tablespoon. The albondigas turned out perfectly round. We got about 26 pieces.
11. Add our meatballs to the soup. Add salt to the soup and add cayenne pepper.
12. Turn down the heat to a minimum and cover the pan with a lid. Cook for another 30 minutes.
13. Add green peas and oregano to the soup. Turn off the heat and leave for 5 minutes.
Serving: Serve hot, seasoned with coriander leaves.